The Cutting Edge: 2014
Remodeling Education Expo
May 14, 2014 7am-6pm
Cobb Galleria Centre
Knowledge is Power.
Attend 20 classes led by industry experts. Session Tracks include: Design, Field Management, Green and Business Management / Sales. Receive 6 credit hours of Continuing Education Units that meet Georgia Residential Contractor Licensing Requirements. A variety of top industry organizations, including AIA, NKBA, ASID, USGBC-GA and others will join presenting - Ph.D Sponsor The Home Depot and other vendors for a buffet lunch with attendees. See up-to-date products and techniques for Energy Efficiency, Home Technologies, Building Systems, Interior Design, Marketing & Social Media, Moisture Management, Health Safety & Welfare, Water & Sustainability. Sign up, exhibit or attend!
2014 Speakers & Sessions Announced!
Jobsite Management Track
- Jobsite Safety – keeping your employees and trade contractors safe on your jobsites and staying out of trouble in the process – with job safety tips and suggestions for establishing accident prevention Processes -- Gary Wheeler, The Virtual HR Director
- Managing Changes – Change orders can be the bane of your existence, or you can manage them so they are profitable and don’t disrupt your project – Jesse Morado Mosaic Group
- Are You Sure You are Properly Insured? - Dawn Pogue, SMG Insurance
- Scheduling – Learn how to schedule your projects so they run more smoothly and finish on time, making you more money and your clients happier - Jesse Morado, Mosaic Group
- Employees and Subcontractors – Keeping It Legal. Understanding how to manage your company and your workers properly to avoid problems down the road – Kevin Veler, Construction and Business AttorneyManaging Changes – Change orders can be the bane of your existence, or you can manage them so they are profitable and don’t disrupt your project – Jesse Morado Mosaic Group
- Managing the Affordable Care Act – Learn how this law affects you and how you and your employees can benefit from it -- Dawn Pogue, SMG Insurance
- Design Build as a Company Model -- William Fadul, Rick Goldstein of Mosaic Group; Peter Michelson of Renewal Design Build
- Social Media Strategies to bring you more business – Social media is one of the major ways to communicate with potential clients. Figuring out how to effectively use Facebook, Linked In, Twitter, Instagram, Houzz, Pinterest, and other outlets can help expand your market and bring you more opportunities -- Donna Lang, Smart Tools Coaching
- Generating and Qualifying Leads – You need to generate leads to make sales, but you also need to qualify leads so you pursue the best ones and don’t waste time on those that won’t turn into jobs. Dan Weidmann, Weidmann & Assoc.
- Getting paid for your estimates – Opening up your business to an income stream that is too often missed -- through a combination of evaluation tools and sales methodology. Lissa Verteegh, Sandler Sales
- Setting, Managing and Understanding Client Expectations – Mark Buelow, Distinctive Remodeling Solutions
- Forget Green; Go for Good Remodeling – Many people are experiencing Green Fatigue – they are getting tired of hearing about it, and there is a lot of Green washing out there – people making exaggerated and false claims. Learn how to renovate better and be a “green” contractor without having to talk about it if you don’t want to. Carl Seville, SK Collaborative
- Energy Codes and Remodeling – the Georgia Energy Code has some very specific requirements and they affect remodeling differently from new construction. Learn about the details and how it affects your projects so you pass all your inspections without problems. Abe Kruger SK Collaborative
- HVAC Design – getting it right. Too many HVAC systems are improperly sized and poorly installed, increasing costs to operate and decreasing efficiency. Learn how doing it right can save you money and make your clients happier. Chris Laumer Giddens, LG Squared
- Doing Tankless Water Heaters Right -- As more and more of your customers ask for tankless, it becomes critical to be able to guide them tankless through the industry standards in selection and sizing, venting; and general installation. – Neil Lynn, Rheem I
NKBA – Design Track
- “Today’s Trends in Bath Design” – Award winning designer, Jim Meloy will share the exciting new products and space planning in the second most important room of the house. Learn how to create the “Spa” experience for your clients. Jim Meloy, CKD, Kitchen and Bath Concepts, Roswell, GA.
- “Current Design for Aging in Place” – Presenting creative ideas and beautiful spaces that illustrate undetectable ergonomic space planning using updated products that protect all generations and enhance lives. Pam Goldstein, CMKBD, CAPS, Allied ASID of Pamela Goldstein Designs, Inc.
- “Designing Interiors of Remodeled Spaces” – Learn the latest trends in interior finishes and how to upgrade adjoining areas. See fresh and innovative design ideas and products to inspire you. Tish Mills, Harmonious Living by Tish Mills, LLC.
- “Designing with Appliances” – Learn about lifestyle products that genuinely suit the needs of clients, and not just an appliance to fill a cabinet hole. See new products using advanced technology and design trends for the whole house. Lisa Connor, Appliance Expert.
- “New Trends in Cabinetry” – Set your projects apart by learning how to think “outside the box” with your cabinetry. Experience a refreshing look at cabinet finishes, construction and design. Natalia Makarov, Karpaty Cabinets
Special Thanks to Our Sponsors!
Old Castle Surfaces
Stock Building Supply
PMC Building Materials
Viking Distributing East